But few people realize what an important vegetable the tomato is. While, it is true that chemical analysis does not place it very high in the nutritive scale, if viewed from this angle alone its real value will be greatly underestimated.
For the reasons which follow, every normal person should make the tomato a very prominent part of the weekly diet:
• It is a vegetable that is easily grown.
• It yields well and keeps for a long time.
• It usually brings a fair price, because nearly everyone likes tomatoes. It contains distinct medicinal virtues (which are recognized by many authoritative books on household remedies), as “vegetable calomel.”
• It is both a relish and an appetizer as well as a food.
• Our soils can be made to bring enormous yields of tomatoes, superior in look, taste, and general appearance.
• They can be prepared in so many delicious ways that one can eat them every day in the week and not get tired of them.
• The old vines contain splendid dye-stuffs, which could be utilized as a by-product for dying fabrics of various kinds.